Monday, March 28, 2011

when we were young and beautiful

buried deep in a corner of my ex mother-in-laws basement lay a box of photos. they had been
sitting there for over 20 years. i knew they were there and from time to time i thought about having
her ship them out to me, but something always came up and i'd forget to do it. then i figured that they
had been thrown out after the divorce and i gave them up for lost. imagine my surprise when just yesterday
the ex himself handed them over to me. he had been back east visiting his mother, found them and gave them back to me!
these photos were largely of my early 20's, before we started dating.
a part of my wild and crazy youth. i look at them now and can't believe how young i was and yes, i was beautiful. we all were. we had the glow of youth, our faces weren't careworn with responsibility, our bodies weren't dragged down by gravity and babies. the only thing we had to worry about was what to wear to the next party. it was an exciting time of concerts and parties and talking long into the night, solving the worlds problems over a bottle of cheap chianti.
i look at some of the pictures and just laugh, the memory is still so sharp, not like it was yesterday, but certainly not like it was 30 years ago either.
would i go back if i could?
depends on what day you ask me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment