Thursday, February 10, 2011

but can she cook?

i have decided to become a vegetarian. it has nothing to do with my moral compass, in fact, i have always enjoyed being on the top of the food chain and have been known to exclaim on more that one occasion, "i need meat" i'm just tired of being in pain all the time. chemotherapy for all it's wonderful healing qualities also has the propensity to do some damage as well.  for me, i ended up with irritable bowel syndrome and assorted other goodies. meat, grease and spicy foods just do not sit well with me anymore. tofu is out because my cancer was estrogen based so i have to avoid all soy products and things with natural estrogen like pomegranates, flax, etc. the list is long.
anyone who knows me, knows that my lack of culinary skills are legendary. presidents choice and i are on a first name basis and my children had to go to school to find out that all cookies did not always have to come out of a box.
now that i have more time on my hands, i need to learn how to cook vegetarian, most of the pre-packaged foods have tofu in them. my family has not jumped on board with me, which is fine, so i also need to learn to cook in small quantities.
if any of you could recommend a good cookbook or share a recipe it would be greatly appreciated.
i promise, i will not become a fanatic about this. i will not expound on the joys and health benefits of becoming vegetarian, i will just quietly munch my carrot sticks and covet that lovely piece of meat you are eating.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you a lot of luck in this endevour Lisa as it will not be an easy thing to do especially if the rest of the family is not on board with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secret is to do base menus. Start with the meal that you want, then remove yours and add meat to theirs. Spent years making three different meals because of yuck factors and dietary concerns!

    Around here the big family dinners are 3 versions of most veg dishes.....vegan, vegitarian, dairy sensitivities, garlic and nut allergies and on and on. It is quite the challenge but actually love it, planning and patience.

    Learned it when Vic was a baby, I was so scared of processed baby food had to learn to cook for all of us taking hers out first, then adding for the adults!

    ReplyDelete