Tuesday, May 31, 2011

and so.....................

people are always asking me what i do with myself since i've retired. hmmmmmmmmmmm!
wish i could say that i've started volunteering at the local soup kitchen or that i've joined the gym and
work out on a regular basis etc. sorry my life has not changed all that much. the exception being, is that i no longer go to the office. instead, i concentrate on what makes me happy. selfish? yea! do i care? no! (i'm selfish remember).
i have been spending alot of time in my garden. this makes me happy. a garden is like a painting or a sculpture. mixing your colours and your shapes and textures to create something that is pleasing to the eye. i long for a secret garden. (do you remember the book?) a place where you can go and be alone where no-one knows where you are, where flowers and shrubs and trees are allowed to run wild. i am working on such a garden but it will take me years to pull it off.    this makes me happy.
it's dragon boating season again so i'm on the water a couple of times a week and i love it! my team mates are  a great group of women and several have become good friends. this year, the daughter has joined up! she is at the moment dividing herself between the teen team and sparing for my team. paddling together is just one more thing that we can share.    this makes me happy.
i have more time to spend with my grandchildren. they are at an age that they grow so fast and every week there is a change so i am lucky to be able to see this happen right before my eyes. they make me laugh. i see my son become an amazing father.    this makes me happy.
i am able to spend more time with son #3. he is becoming a most interesting man.  this makes me happy.
i am traveling more. next week we are going to houston to visit my twin brother and his wife. we will celebrate our birthday together. a rare occurrence now as we have not lived in the same city or even the same part of the country for at least 25 or 30 years.   this makes me happy.
in august, the husband and i have rented a beach house on the island. a week of serenity waits for us there. the ocean has always called my name and i answer whenever i can.   this makes me happy.
some friends and i are going to the other side of the island in september. a girls weekend. to the place where i believe god lives. we will wander in the rainforests and walk the beaches, eat too much, drink too much and laugh alot. (you can't laugh too much)     this makes me happy.
i "do" lunch with my girlfriends.spending an hour catching each other up on our lives,spilling secrets and sharing bits and pieces of our lives. girlfriend time is important. i sit on front porches and drink coffee or wine depending on the time of day.   this makes me happy.
and so........... i am enjoying a selfish productive retirement and this makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment